What others say:
- ‘Very hard-working with a super intellect. He cuts through the trees and sees the issues.’ Chambers & Partners – Financial Crime, Leading Juniors 2024
- ‘Highly user friendly – both from the point of view of instructing solicitors and also for lay clients. He has the ability to fillet substantial amounts of evidence down to the essential components that will become the issues in the case and his advocacy style is measured, tactical, always respectful but suitably combative when needed.’ Legal 500 – Fraud: Crime, Leading Juniors 2024
- ‘Very good with clients. He is able to put them at ease with his thoughtful manner and sage advice.’ Chambers & Partners – Crime, Leading Juniors 2024
- 'Roddy has amazing reserves of confidence, and is always calm and assured. You will believe every word he says'. Chambers & Partners - Crime 2023
- Legal 500 - Crime, Leading Juniors 2023
- Legal 500 - Fraud: Crime, Leading Juniors 2023
- 'A meticulous advocate whom you can rely on to know the papers well.' Chambers & Partners - Crime, Leading Junior 2022
- ‘A junior who remains calm under fire, has an extremely meticulous eye, and possesses exact legal judgement. His extensive experience and confident persona sits well with clients.’ Legal 500 – Crime, Leading Juniors 2022
- ‘A junior who maintains a calm demeanour under pressure. He is also extremely meticulous and has excellent legal judgement. His significant experience and confident persona sit well with clients.’ Legal 500 – Fraud, Leading Juniors 2022
Roderick is a leading London junior with a strong Fraud and Serious Crime practice. His areas of specialism include defending clients facing multi-handed fraud, corruption and money laundering trials as well as cases involving allegations of serious and organised crime, homicide and serious drug-trafficking.
Described by instructing solicitors as “very methodical with evidence and excellent under pressure”, he is adept in making complicated issues comprehensible. Skilled in mastering large volumes of evidence and displaying clear tactical judgement he regularly conducts cases at all court levels as either leading or led counsel.
Present and recent instructions:
- SFO v. MP [G4S] Instructed as first junior counsel for the Commercial Director of G4S Electronic Monitoring in a £multi-million fraud investigation brought by the SFO. [link]
- R v. H Instructed alone to defend in case of “one punch” manslaughter.
- R v. S Instructed as leading junior to represent defendant in allegations relating to international supply of “Spice”.
- R v. R Instructed to defend in multi-handed money-laundering conspiracy alleged to involve the transfer of £millions in cash to the UAE.
- R v. R Instructed to advise on behalf of a company director charged with tax offences in respect of an alleged Phoenix company set up to avoid unpaid VAT and PAYE. Case discontinued by prosecution as the result of representations made.
- Operation Roachdale Instructed as led junior counsel in a trial involving a shooting alleged to have been a gang revenge killing.
- Operation Reconverge Instructed as leading junior counsel in a conspiracy to transfer over £17m in cash out of the country.
Roderick is regularly instructed in serious or high profile cases, usually as the leading barrister or led junior. His caseload typically involves allegations of homicide or Organized Crime Group activities.
‘Able to dissect very complex evidence’ (Legal 500 – 2020)
‘His friendly and easy-going manner belies the sheer preparation he puts in’ (Legal 500 – 2018)
‘His ability to think of solutions to problems quickly is a real strength’ (Legal 500 – 2017)
Roderick has extensive experience in high level, multi-handed white collar fraud cases conducted as both leading and led junior.
‘A very safe pair of hands but can argue innovative points where appropriate’ (Legal 500 – 2020)
‘A lawyer’s lawyer with a careful and considered approach to all the issues’ (Legal 500 – 2019)
‘He is extremely hardworking, incredibly well-prepared and a forceful advocate’ (Legal 500 – 2017)
Roderick regularly appears on behalf of medical and other professionals in regulatory proceedings, inquests and related criminal matters.
‘A personable and very astute advocate’ – Professional Disciplinary and Regulatory Law – Leading Juniors (Legal 500 – 2020)
- R v. H  Maidstone Crown Court. Instructed alone to defend in case of “one punch” manslaughter.
- Operation Roachdale  Central Criminal Court. Instructed as led junior counsel in a trial involving a shooting alleged to have been a gang revenge killing.
- Operation Pietown  Central Criminal Court. Acted as junior counsel defending one of 4 young men accused of murder, alleged to have been committed as the result of a drugs dispute.
- Operation Parkston  Central Criminal Court. Instructed as led junior counsel to defend one of 6 young men charged with two murders in a series of reprisal attacks following an earlier killing. A series of stabbings and other offences took place over the course of a single evening, leading to 2 deaths and numerous injuries to other victims.
- R v. GG and others [2017/18]Central Criminal Court. Instructed as led junior counsel to defend one of 3 Polish men charged with murder in an alleged drug dispute. The 3 defendants all ran mutually problematical cut-throat defences, blaming each other for the multiple stab and slash wounds inflicted upon the deceased. At the first trial, all other defendants were convicted. The defendant was acquitted following a re-trial.
Drugs offences and organised crime
- R v. S  Bristol Crown Court. Instructed as leading junior to represent defendant in allegations relating to international supply of “Spice”.
- R v. AM  Snaresbrook Crown Court. Instructed, alone, to represent one of 6 defendants charged with kidnap, false imprisonment, robbery, bribery and assault of Bangladeshi males in East London.
- R v. K  Kingston Crown Court. Instructed as junior counsel to represent teenage defendant charged with 8 counts of disseminating terrorist publications with intent to encourage others to commit terrorist acts. The defendant had disseminated ISIS-produced videos of graphic violence via secure chat platforms.
- SFO v. MP [G4S]  Southwark Crown Court. Instructed as first junior counsel for the Commercial Director of G4S Electronic Monitoring in a £multi-million fraud investigation brought by the SFO. [link]
- R v. R  Manchester Crown Court. Instructed to defend in multi-handed money-laundering conspiracy alleged to involve the transfer of £millions in cash to the UAE.
- R v. R  Instructed to advise on behalf of a company director charged with tax offences in respect of an alleged Phoenix company set up to avoid unpaid VAT and PAYE. Case discontinued by prosecution as the result of representations made.
- Operation Reconverge  Croydon Crown Court. Instructed as leading junior counsel in a conspiracy to transfer over £17m in cash out of the country.
- R v. SS and others  Isleworth Crown Court. Instructed as junior counsel to represent the director of a London money transfer businesses charged with laundering a total of £28 million in criminal property in less than 2 years by transferring it overseas and then via various layers of international business entities.
- R v. SK  Hove Crown Court. Represented the sole director of a company offering Gatwick-based “meet and greet” parking charged with fraudulent trading after Trading Standards exposed that vehicles were being parked unsecure in open fields and public car parks. The company website was alleged to have contained falsified testimonials and fraudulent claims as to the services provided.
- R v. JW and others  Basildon Crown Court. Instructed, alone, to defend the director of a city commodities trading house specialising in rare earth metals accused of defrauding the company’s customers through involvement in the wider fraudulent “Denver Trading” scheme.
- R v. KT [2016/2017] Norwich Crown Court. Instructed to defend one of 3 company directors prosecuted by Trading Standards for conspiracy to defraud worth in excess of £10m relating to the deliberate mis-selling of satellite system insurance and anti-spam telephone services.
- Operation Mulgrave  Southwark CC. Instructed to act for a former executive of a major insurance broker charged with defrauding the company of £millions by means of payments to sham introducing agents in overseas territories.
- Operation Silenius  Isleworth Crown Court. Instructed as leading junior counsel representing an HMRC Vat Inspector charged with tax evasion and multiple charges of mortgage fraud spanning more than a decade.
- Operation Callaghan  Southwark Crown Court. Instructed as leading junior counsel, prosecuted by Queen’s Counsel, for defendant charged with conspiracy to defraud in connection with unlawful GSM (mobile telephone) gateway provision and industrial scale usage of cloned credit
Roderick James news.
No evidence offered in G4S prosecution.
Roderick James Ranked in Chambers and Partners.
Henry Grunwald QC and Roderick James secure acquittal in Frank Lampard burglary trial.
Henry Grunwald OBE KC
Crucible barristers act in £26m burglary trial
Henry Grunwald QC and Roderick James defending one of the alleged conspirators accused of burglaries targeting celebrities.
Henry Grunwald OBE KC
Neil Hawes QC and Roderick James instructed for G4S director in SFO prosecution.